Snort mailing list archives

Re: Initial public release: Charlotte

From: alanyeowork--- via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 01:08:03 +0000

Thanks Monk and all

-----Original Message-----
From: Snort-users [mailto:snort-users-bounces () lists snort org] On Behalf Of Richard Monk via Snort-users
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:51 AM
To: snort-users () lists snort org
Subject: [Snort-users] Initial public release: Charlotte

Hi folks!

We've been using an in-house alternative to barnyard for a few years now and I've finally gotten around to putting in
some readme and a license so we can open-source it.  I've published the 1.0.3 release to github[1].

Charlotte (as in, the spider that saves the pig) attempts to overcome some of the problems we had with barnyard in our
deployment (50+ sensors, 300+ snort instances, massively geographically diffuse) with Snorby integration.

It can function as a drop-in replacement for barnyard, or run in a more centralized fashion, reading rsync-ed unified
directories.

After pushing this out, I realize that the unified-sender script may be useful as well to people, to avoid having to do
database queries (and protect database
queries!) over a WAN.  I'll add that to the scripts directory soon.  It just automates detecting and sending unified
files from sensors to a central location so snort writes to the sensor disk, and charlotte reads from copies at the
center.  I'll also do an actual github release with some copr repo RPM versions for those using RHEL/CentOS/Fedora.

We've been running Charlotte for awhile and although it's not a 100% replacement for barnyard (a couple fields we don't
use don't get transferred) it's served us very well.  I hope that some others struggling with large-scale deployments
can make use of it!  We will be continuing development work via github now, so contributions/issues/reports are welcome.

[1]: https://github.com/redhat-infosec/charlotte
--
Richard Monk (rmonk () redhat com) - Senior Principal Security Analyst Red Hat Inc. - Raleigh NC GPG Key ID:
0x766EB165942CDB25