Snort mailing list archives

Re: Failed to parse the IP address: 32.0.0.0/40.0.0

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 13:42:10 -0400

On 03/29/2018 01:06 PM, "Sinan Dönmezer" wrote:
Hello,

I'm a newbie to Snort. I just started today so I somly followed a guide on how to configure it.
I am on Windowss 10 using Version 2.9.11.1
Now that I setup everything and even running it in Test Mode the programm told me that Snort succesfully validated the configuration. If I try to run it with: C:\Snort\bin>snort -i 3 -c c:\snort\etc\snort.conf -A console

It says:
Running in IDS mode
         --== Initializing Snort ==--
Initializing Output Plugins!
Initializing Preprocessors!
Initializing Plug-ins!
Parsing Rules file "c:\snort\etc\snort.conf"
ERROR: c:\snort\etc\snort.conf(0) Failed to parse the IP address: 32.0.0.0/40.0.0.0.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

we;ve seen this just recently in the last two months... i don't recall the solution, though...

you've posted your version, the command line you are using and the output but you didn't post your snort.conf... i don't think it will help, though, as the error says it is in line 0 which is exactly what we saw in the previous report...

what editor are you using on your snort.conf? make sure it is saving it as a plain ASCII text file... if you're using UTF-8, make sure there's no BOM mark at the first of the file...