Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it possible to apply DARPA dataset on snort to classify attack types?

From: Paulo Angelo <pa () pauloangelo com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:40:17 -0300

Hi Thierry,

The DARPA dataset is a bit outdated (98/99). I suggest you to take a look
on the ISCX2012, CICIDS2017, or  CTU-13 datasets.

Some months ago I replayed the CTU-13 and part of the ISCX2012 dataset to
Snort and registered its output combined with the extracted flows. The
results are available at [1] (below). I submitted the finding as a paper,
which is still under review. So, there is no much publicly available
information yet about it. But I can send you some details in private upon
request.

I also recommend [2-3], which are updated papers that discuss about
datasets in the realm of intrusion detection systems.

I hope this may help you.

Best regards,

Paulo Angelo

[1] http://ids-hogzilla.org/dataset/
[2] Iman Sharafaldin, Arash Habibi Lashkari, and Ali A. Ghorbani, “Toward
Generating a New Intrusion Detection Dataset and Intrusion Traffic
Characterization”, 4th International Conference on Information Systems
Security and Privacy (ICISSP), Portugal, January 2018.
[3] Iman Sharafaldin, Amirhossein Gharib, Arash Habibi Lashkari, Ali A.
Ghorbani, "Towards a Reliable Intrusion Detection Benchmark Dataset", River
Journal, Vol 2017, Issue 1, P 177-200, Software Networking Journal, River
Publishers, January 2017.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 8:21 PM, 2014/2015 - Nsabimana Thierry <