Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 3, IDS mode, Monitor Multiple Interface At Same Time

From: Michael Altizer via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:56:16 -0400

Snort3 will not natively aggregate packets from packet sources.  You need a DAQ module that will do so for you and present it to Snort as a single stream of packets. If you specify -i N times, you will need N packet threads (-z N) to process all of the packets.  On Linux systems, you can use AFPacket (--daq afpacket) to listen on multiple interfaces at one time.  If you run it in passive mode, it takes a colon-separated list of interface names as its input specification (for example: -i VLAN10:VLAN20:VLAN30:...) and will open the socket/create an RX ring for each and round robin over them when looking for packets. There is a fairly arbitrary limit of 32 interfaces that I threw on the AFPacket DAQ module and I've never tested with anything close to that, but it should work with the caveats that there will be some latency penalty for each interface added (not a problem if you're passive rather than inline) and the total packet buffer memory (default = 128mb) will be divided evenly across all of the interfaces in the set.  So, to monitor 50 subinterfaces, your minimum config would be to run two packet threads with AFPacket configured to listen on 25 subinterfaces in each (-d afpacket -i VLAN1:...:VLAN25 -i VLAN26:...:VLAN50 -z2).

Alternatively, have you considered doing policy by VLAN internally in Snort (binder 'when' statements using VLAN criteria) and having it sniff the aggregated, tagged traffic like Al suggested?