Snort mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious DNS rule

From: Marcos Rodriguez <mrodriguez () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:07:15 -0400

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 1:16 PM, James Lay via Snort-sigs <
snort-sigs () lists snort org> wrote:

So ok....I got three samples, two agent telsa, one formbook, all exhibit
the following:

list of samples on any_run:

https://app.any.run/tasks/33d3e229-fba7-476b-8ec9-7464eacb1ca3
https://app.any.run/tasks/6d9371e7-249b-47d1-bbbb-cf66dd34e30b
https://app.any.run/tasks/065b87cb-a6d3-4dc7-a06f-a893281b4263

these request show up funky:

my only guess is a specific packer is calling out as the three samples are
all .NET.  Anyway sig below:

alert udp $HOME_NET any -> any 53 (msg:"Suspicious DNS Request";
content:"|01 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 ca b1 03 6f 72 67 00|";
fast_pattern:only; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:XXXXXX; rev:1;
metadata:created_at 2018_07_31;)

if someone has any more insight I'd love to know what this really is.
Thank you.

James

Hi James,

This looks interesting!  Thanks for your submission and we'll get this
rolled into our testing process and get back to you.  Thanks again!

--
Marcos Rodriguez
Cisco Talos