Snort mailing list archives

snort setup and port mirroring

From: Deniz Yildirim via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:44:11 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up an IDS/Snort for the first time on a RaspberryPi 3, I’ve successfully flashed my microSD with
raspberry lite and installed snort. But in the progress of a manual I am following it says I need to have a switch to
configure port mirroring.

Now my question is:

Do I need to by a an external switch or is it possible in any way to use Port Mirroring on my router through a firmware
like OpenWRT?
I have a linksys wrt1900ACS but with original firmware. Is possible for me to install openWRT and run port mirroring
there or must I buy switch?

I appreciate all help.
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org