Snort mailing list archives

Updating Snort

From: Nathan Hicks <NHicks () telpay ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 15:57:14 +0000

Hi,

We're using Snort as an IDS. So Snort, PulledPork, Barnyard2 and Snorby for the web interface. I'm having an issue
where the snorby page isn't updating with detected events.
Everything else appears to be running properly, but when I try to start Snort, I get:

"ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules(9243): unknown modifier "bitmask 0x8000"
Fatal Error, Quitting.."

I believe this is because we're using a very old version of Snort. I'd like to update all the components, but there
doesn't appear to be any documentation that explains how to do that.

I'm a complete beginner at this stuff. Previous admin set it up and I'm just trying to figure it out - so any help is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

        snort-users-leave () lists snort org