Snort mailing list archives

Re: Subscriber signatures fail to update

From: "Joel Esler \(jesler\) via Snort-sigs" <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:53:28 +0000

Hello VJM,

Thanks for the followup.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Communities Division
Cisco Talos Intelligence Group
http://www.talosintelligence.com | https://www.snort.org

On Oct 20, 2020, at 10:59 AM, VJM via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org> wrote:

Hello Joel,

Thanks for confirming the successful hits on the server, I think have solved the issue. What I had to do was do a
forced update which zeroed out the MD5 hashes and redownloaded the entire set. All seems well now. Here’s the latest
log after a forced update at 20:14 local time / 14:44 GMT

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Viv

----Begin Log-------

Starting rules update...  Time: 2020-10-20 20:14:03
                Downloading Snort Subscriber rules md5 file snortrules-snapshot-29161.tar.gz.md5...
                Checking Snort Subscriber rules md5 file...
                There is a new set of Snort Subscriber rules posted.
                Downloading file 'snortrules-snapshot-29161.tar.gz'...
                Done downloading rules file.
                Downloading Snort OpenAppID detectors md5 file snort-openappid.tar.gz.md5...
                Checking Snort OpenAppID detectors md5 file...
                There is a new set of Snort OpenAppID detectors posted.
                Downloading file 'snort-openappid.tar.gz'...
                Done downloading rules file.
                Downloading Snort AppID Open Text Rules md5 file appid_rules.tar.gz.md5...
                Checking Snort AppID Open Text Rules md5 file...
                There is a new set of Snort AppID Open Text Rules posted.
                Downloading file 'appid_rules.tar.gz'...
                Done downloading rules file.
                Downloading Emerging Threats Open rules md5 file emerging.rules.tar.gz.md5...
                Checking Emerging Threats Open rules md5 file...
                There is a new set of Emerging Threats Open rules posted.
                Downloading file 'emerging.rules.tar.gz'...
                Done downloading rules file.
                Extracting and installing Snort Subscriber Ruleset...
                Using Snort Subscriber precompiled SO rules for FreeBSD-11 ...
                Installation of Snort Subscriber rules completed.
                Extracting and installing Snort OpenAppID detectors...
                Installation of Snort OpenAppID detectors completed.
                Extracting and installing Snort AppID Open Text Rules...
                Installation of Snort AppID Open Text Rules completed.
                Extracting and installing Emerging Threats Open rules...
                Installation of Emerging Threats Open rules completed.
                Copying new config and map files...
                Updating rules configuration for: WAN ...
                Updating rules configuration for: WAN2 ...
                Updating rules configuration for: LAN ...
                Updating rules configuration for: WAN3TSBB ...
                Restarting Snort to activate the new set of rules...
                Snort has restarted with your new set of rules.
The Rules update has finished.  Time: 2020-10-20 20:17:51