Snort mailing list archives

Re: some question about snort3 appid inspector

From: "Shravan Rangarajuvenkata \(shrarang\) via Snort-sigs" <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 20:54:52 +0000

Hello,

We will first need http_inspect to inspect HTTP flows. For that you will need to enable stream, stream_tcp and
http_inspect. Also, you will need to bind HTTP traffic to http_inspect which you can do with default_wizard.

For detecting HTTP payload apps such as Facebook, Twitter, etc, you will need the Openappid Detector Package (ODP). ODP
is available at https://snort.org/downloads. You will need to point to the location containing the extracted ODP with
the configuration appid.app_detector_dir.

Here’s an example configuration file:

dofile('<path to snort_defaults.lua>')

stream = {}

stream_tcp = {}

http_inspect = { }

wizard = default_wizard

appid =

{

    app_detector_dir = '<path to extracted ODP>',

}

If that doesn’t work, can you please share the snort Lua configuration file?

Thanks,
Shravan