Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Rule management

From: Noah Dietrich <noah_dietrich () 86penny org>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:15:49 +0200

it all depends on how you are running snort and which version of PP you're
running.
If this is a rule that Is this rule one of your own local rules? If so:
comment it out in your local.rules file and re-run PulledPork re-create the
combined rules file.
if this rule is coming from one of the downloaded rulesets or a built-rule,
you have a few options. With PulledPork 2 you can use the disablesid.conf
<https://github.com/shirkdog/pulledpork/blob/master/etc/disablesid.conf>
file to disable this rule.
if you're running PulledPork3, this functionality is not yet implemented.
However, you could configure Snort to suppress this alert in it's output
(you can do this if you're running PP2 as well, since it's a Snot
configuration):

From a similar email i responded to:

I'd recommend you look into using the *suppress *module in your snort.lua
file.  Details are in the snort reference manual
<https://github.com/snort3/snort3/releases/download/3.1.5.0/snort_reference.pdf>
(section
2.30), and there's an example here
<https://github.com/snort3/snort3_demo/blob/master/tests/framework/suppress/snort.lua>.
I haven't used this module, but i think you'd want to include something
like the following in your snort.lua file (you'll want to test this because
i haven't):
suppress = {
    {
        gid = 112,
        sid = 1,
    },
    {
        -- you can add other rules to ignore here
        gid =  1,
        sid = 12345,
    }
}

Noah

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM Ian via Snort-sigs <