Snort mailing list archives

snort rule- question about flowbits‏‏

From: Dana Igra via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 15:06:21 +0300

Hi!
I saw the blog on https://seclists.org/snort/, and I will be happy to use
your help with a question-

I'm trying to build a single session with flowbits to save the packets from
both rules in the same session.
My rules are similar to the following example (please ignore the content,
it is just for the example and not the problem):

    alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET [139,445] (msg:"example";
flow:to_server,established; content:"SMB"; depth:8;  content:"example1";
flowbits:set,example; sid:1234; rev:1; tag:session,100,packets,60,seconds;)
    alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET [139,445] (msg:"example";
flow:to_server,established; content:"SMB"; depth:8;  content:"example2";
flowbits:isset,example; sid:1235; rev:1;
tag:session,100,packets,60,seconds;)

 The good thing is that both of the rules work, and I have packets from
both of them.
The problem is that they are not saved in the same session. I want a single
session to be created when both of the contents are seen. Is there a way to
do that?
thanks!!

Dana