Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort3: correct and effective number of packet threads

From: Fabio Almeida via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 10:17:09 -0300

Unsubscribe

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 10:14 AM Meridoff via Snort-devel <
snort-devel () lists snort org> wrote:

Hello,
What is the correct and max performance number of packet processing
threads (specified by -z) for nfq and afapacket modes ?

For example I have a 4-core CPU (got by /proc/cpuinfo) and want to scan 6
interfaces.
What -z should I specify for max performance and CPU loading?

Or reversely: if I have a 6-core CPU and want to scan 4 interfaces. Is it
will be a performance gain if I specify -z 6 ? Or is enough to set z=4

I know that if z = 0 then the number of threads will be equal to the
number of cores.

But for 6 interfaces - is it correct to specify z - 6 , even if the number
of cores is 4 ?

Thanks!