Snort mailing list archives

Question: Snort Rule to alert on an "Outer" IP address

From: "LICATO, JAMES J via Snort-sigs" <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 16:54:05 +0000

Hi,

I have PCAP files that contain both Inner SIP/DIP IP addresses, as well as, Outer SIP/DIP addresses.

Below is a bogus example Snort Rule I wrote,

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"|00 11 22 33 44 55|"; sid=9000001; Rev:1;) ###Bogus for illustration purposes

where I am trying to alert on a specific byte pattern.

I would like to further restrict this rule to alert only when my Outer SIP IP address is a specific value.  Something
to the effect,

alert tcp 192.168.100.40 any -> any any (content:"|00 11 22 33 44 55|"; sid=9000001; Rev:1;) ###Bogus for illustration
purposes

I tired this and it is not alerting as expected.  It only seems to alert if I use an Inner SIP/DIP values.

Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong and if its even possible for a Snort rule to check an Outer SIP/DIP value?

Thank you,
Jim-