Snort mailing list archives

Pfsense + snort

From: Daniel Reuben via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 18:14:21 +0000

Hello,

We currently have two IPS/IDS setup, both on LAN side with snort rules applied. We are noticing that inbound traffic is
coming from internal IPs exclusively. We would like to be able to receive internal and external IPs, what would be the
best course of action?

Would we have to create 4 ids/ips interfaces in total? LAN and WAN on one side of the network, and LAN and WAN on the
other side? If we were to do this, can we have independent rules, conditions, suppressions for each IPS/IDS. If I were
to apply some sort of rule to a WAN interface, would that cause the LAN side to inherit this rule? We want unique rules
for each interface. Any recommendations?

Does pfsense + snort only monitor ingress, or both ingress and egress traffic?