tcpdump mailing list archives

packatet capturing poing of tcpdump/libcap

From: np linux <nitin_linux () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:59:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

We are doing some experiment, where we are trying to
measure the processing time taken by a node when a
packate pssess throgh it.

        --------eth0[Linux-PC Router]eth1-------

We run tcpdump within this PC at eth0(incomming
interface) and eth1(outgoing interface) . Then we find
out our packate in  both the captures and the
difference of two captures gives processing time of
the node

Now, the question: Is doing so a right way to measure
the processing time, as we are not sure where exactly
does libcap captures the packates. Is it right before
network driver or after it ao anywhere else?

Any help on this issue will be highly appreciable.

Thanks,

Nitin