tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New APIs to support multiple DLT_'s on an interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:14:44 -0800

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 12:26:01PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:50:14AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
since netbsd's -D and -L seem instrinsically related, yet the official
tcpdump -D doesn't seem that far off, and since the netbsd change is
rather recent, how about merging/switching the two functionalities?
this would mean that -D would give me (for example):

    % tcpdump -D
    1.lo0   NULL
    8.ep0   EN10MB
    9.wi0   EN10MB IEEE802_11

Yes, that might be a good idea, although that doesn't offer an option to
display just the link-layer types for one particular interface - I guess
we could allow "-i" and "-D" to be used together, and have that display
the link-layer types for the interface specified with "-i" (and maybe
leave out the interface number if that's done).

It also doesn't help with the issue I was mentioning, which was that
"-D" was already taken by WinPcap to mean "show a list of interfaces",
and wasn't available for the NetBSD use meaning "set the DLT type for an
interface".
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe