tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Re: -e vs. -x, revisited

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:39:45 -0800

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 03:35:57PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
ps - i am reminded of something else i wanted at one point...i wanted
to put *all* the dissector routines into libpcap,

I think that goes beyond what I'd consider libpcap's charter.  Not all
applications using libpcap would want to use tcpdump's dissectors.

However:

enhance their
interfaces somewhat so that more things could be passed in (flags,
input buffer pointer and length, output buffer pointer and length,
etc), so that i could say, in my code:

      hmm....here's a packet, would you please dissect it into a
      "human readable format" and place that representation in this
      buffer?

tcpdump would call the dissectors and then just print the results.
goofy idea?

that could go into a "libtcpdump" - and Michael Richardson has been
working on such a library.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe