tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX BPF driver load

From: Shaun <delius () progsoc uts edu au>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:07:40 +1100 (EST)

bpf_open.... the logic used in the IBM implementation is:

Ok, I submitted this change as a patch in SourceForge. It works for me on
AIX 4.33 and AIX 5.1 in both 32 and 64 bit mode. (Though the 64 bit
version can only load the module when the 64 bit kernel is running, i.e
the 64 bit code cannot load the 32 bit module into the 32 bit kernel).

There are some other issues with 64 bit pcap on AIX but this patch doesn't
make them worse, somewhat better actually :)

By the way, if you managed to reverse-engineer that, it might also be
interesting to figure out what the deal is with BIOCIMMEDIATE.  Tthe
timeout set with BIOCSRTIMEOUT doesn't seem to work right on AIX - it
appears to be ignored, and the read doesn't complete until the kernel
packet buffer is full, so you may wait forever to see packets - so we
currently, on AIX, turn on BIOCIMMEDIATE so that packets are always
delivered immediately.

I'll look at this today if I get a chance.

Thanks,
Shaun

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe