tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Linux - Packet socket: mmapped IO

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:38:03 -0800

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:05:03AM +1100, Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:
I have the "Packet socket" and "Packet socket: mmapped IO" support
enabled in the kernel. I understand that the "Packet socket: mmapped
IO" is supposed to improve the performance dramatically.

How do I find out if libpcap/tcpdump are utilising that feature? (are
there any parameters to be used in the Makefile of either of them?)

Libpcap from tcpdump.org includes no code to support that, so if you are
using libpcap from tcpdump.org, you already know if it's utilizing that
feature, and the answer is "no".

There is a patched version of libpcap at

        http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/

that uses the feature.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe