tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: patch to support floating port number for tftp

From: Motonori Shindo <mshindo () mshindo net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 14:02:28 +0900 (JST)

Guy,

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] patch to support floating port number for tftp
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:32:09 -0700

The way Ethereal handles that is that it:

      1) recognizes packets sent to port 69 as TFTP packets;

      2) for those packets, remembers the IP addresses and the
         *source* port number, and arranges that all subsequent
         packets from the client (from the client's IP address and
         source port number, and to the server's IP address) and from
         the server (from the server's IP address, and to the client's
         IP address and source port number) be dissected as TFTP as
         well.

Should tcpdump do the same?

I believe so. Is there a facility in tcpdump something similar to
find_conversation(), conversation_new(), conversation_set_dissector()
provided in Ethereal?

Yet still having '-T tftp' option is useful because it is not always
possible to capture the first tftp packet of which tcpdump can
remember the IP address and source port number. There is often a case
where one wants to snoop the tftp session after the session has
already started. I always get into this situation when I need to know
what block number is being processed so that I can estimate the ETA in
the middle of relatively long tftp session.

Regards,

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe