tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Is any work going on to improve the pcap format so we have have multuple link-types per capture?

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () richardsharpe com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Guy Harris wrote:

Cc list trimmed ...

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:39:26PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
It seems to me that this is overkill for what we want/need, and it does
not define the encap as DLT types. Rather, it defines them as Ethernet
Wiretap enacp types,

s/Ethernet/Ethereal/

which is not good enough!

Which is, in fact, completely bogus, as Ethereal may well change
WTAP_ENCAP_ values at any time (and, in fact, has changed them in the
lifetime of the Tazmen stuff).

Ethereal now treats them as Tazmen-specific values (that happen to have
the same values as *some* of the WTAP_ENCAP_ values as of when the
Tazmen support was first checked into Ethereal).

DLT_ types are the right answer for libpcap, however.

Right. Here is a more complete suggestion:

/*
 * This could actually be any value you like ...
 */
#define DLT_COMMENT 0xFFFE
/*
 * This next value is set to keep it out of the way
 */
#define DLT_VAR_LINKTYPE 0xFFFF
/*
 * And here is the pkt_hdr_var structure
 * Note that after the linktype, everyting looks like a normal libpcap
 * format pkthdr structure ...
 */
struct pcap_hdr_encap {
  bpf_u_int32 linktype;
  struct pcap_pkthdr hdr;
};

Note, though, that trying to make BPF filter those is non-trivial.

Right, but I am not sure that we want to do this.

--
Regards
-----

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe