tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DLT_ assignment: DLT_FIREWIRE

From: David Young <dyoung () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:59:20 -0500

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 06:18:49PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 3:10PM, Dieter Siegmund wrote:
I'm open to suggestions for an alternate name.  How about:
DLT_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE
DLT_IP_OVER_IEEE1394
DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_IEEE1394
DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE

I prefer DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE because it is very specific.  In a
year or two, if DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE is the prevailing IEEE1394
capture format, then it can painlessly "graduate" to a more generic
name. If, however, some other format prevails, then we what a pain it
will be to have "contemporary" and "legacy" uses of the same name?

Make sense?

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933
-