tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump - performs what on initialization?

From: "Derek D. Newton" <derek () tera-byte com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:25:19 -0700 (MST)

 Promiscuous doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, as starting
tcpdump with -p does bring up the interface again, and putting the
interface into promisc mode does nothing.
 This is an annoying problem, as it is only a daily occurance on the odd
server, under heavy traffic load.. I havn't been able to catch one since
you suggested allmulti or ioctl to try.
 Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how would I send an ARP to test if a
gratuitous arp is causing the interface to come unwedged?

Jefferson Ogata said: