tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Output goes weird!

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe () richardsharpe com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:12:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Justin Robinson wrote:

The reason I want to increase it is because I keep dropping loads of
packets.
Half the packets are being dropped on a machine that is supposed to have
server specs.

I'm talking about increasing size of the buffer the kernel uses for
capturing packets, not the snap length.

Since you mention FreeBSD in your original post, here is what we have
found helps. We do lots of captures with GigE:

  rtprio 10 tcpdump -i bc0 -s 1500 -w somefile ...

The important thing is the 'rtprio 10'

Dropped packets go way down, even with GigE.

Regards
-----

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe