tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: aix: tcpdump over loopback

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:56:17 -0700

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 4:11 PM, alex medvedev wrote:

is there an easy way to find out the current linktype in print-ip.c?

Not really - "main()" doesn't save the link type in a global variable, and the pcap_t from which tcpdump is reading isn't global.

AIX doesn't compute cksum over loopback.
i would like to add a check, so that if we are listening on a loopback,
i.e. linktype == IFT_LOOP we simply do not compute/print cksum but still
compute it on other link types.

Other OSes *do* compute a checksum on loopback interfaces, so that's not necessarily the right thing to do.

Furthermore, the checksums are invalid on outgoing packets on interfaces that do checksum offloading, so that shouldn't be restricted to loopback interfaces.

The right thing to do is probably to add a command-line flag to turn off checksum checks (I think somebody suggested that at one point).

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe