tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: two new link type request

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:25:21 -0800

On Dec 1, 2003, at 11:25 AM, alex medvedev wrote:

these are physical interfaces, which you can run protocols on top of.

just got email back from IBM:

IBM> SP & Federation switch driver code is IBM proprietary and we
IBM> can not release the source code/header to outside world. Can
IBM> you still reserve 0x38 & 0x39 for us to use?

We can reserve values for them.

However, we've been assigning values above 100, as it appears that NetBSD was choosing values in the 50's; they (the NetBSD people) might now ask us for values, so it might be safe to give them 56 and 57 - but I don't want to encourage the IBM folks to think that DLT_ values and IFT_ values are the same.

The AIX developers appear to have thought so, but they were wrong, because that (plus having gratuituously chosen to use nanosecond-resolution time stamps), *WITHOUT* changing the magic numbers in files, means that their tcpdump can't read captures from other tcpdumps, and other tcpdumps can't read captures from their tcpdump (we could probably pick up the hack Ethereal does to cope with that, at the expense of not being able to read *normal* tcpdump captures with a file version number of 2.2).

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe