tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Observing duplicate frame captures in TCPDUMP

From: Andrea Montefusco <andrea.montefusco () kyneste com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:14:28 +0100

Kraus, Jeffery wrote:
Hello All, I have the following version of TCPDUMP and LIBPCAP:
tcpdump --help
tcpdump version 3.7.2
libpcap version 0.7.2

Whenever I run captures I always get every packet displayed twice. I have
seen numerous emails regarding this issue, but no real fix. I am currently
using eth4 as the capture interface and I do not have an IP address bound to
it. Any ideas? Thanks.

May be you are connected to a switch port (Cisco Catalyst)
in SPAN/port monitor mode ?
In this case, and if you have selected to monitor a VLAN,
you can see double frames.

  *am*

Andrea Montefusco                         Network Manager
Kyneste S.p.A.  Roma Via Mario Bianchini, 68
                Milano Via della Posta, 3
tel: +3906874021 mob: +393356992791 fax: +390687402300