tcpdump mailing list archives

windump stopped working

From: "Gisle Vanem" <giva () bgnett no>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:19:37 +0100

I've rebuilt libpcap and tcpdump from yesterdays tar-balls.
But tcpdump on Win-XP has stopped working.

I assume it's related to ANSI/Unicode name used in
PacketGetAdapterNames. The comment in inet.c
"Convert the names to UNICODE for backward compatibility"
is misleading. PacketGetAdapterNames() already returns a
list of Unicode names (according to packet32.c).

tcpdump simply prints:
  windump.exe: listening on \
  windump.exe: Error opening adapter: Systemet finner ikke angitt fil.
  (file not found).

I use winpcap/npf 3.0.1. Has the ANSI/Unicode naming scheme
changed in recent npf.sys?

A quick fix for me was to change pcap_lookupdev() to fake Win-9x:

 if ((dwVersion >= 0x80000000 && dwWindowsMajorVersion >= 4) || 1) {

--gv

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe