tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: why doesn't tcpdump drop privileges?

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:28:30 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:05:27AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
As for why I went for "pcap" instead of nobody in the first place..
Red Hat bundles tcpdump with arpwatch, which I also coded to drop root
privileges.  Picking a specific user name for these two purposes
seemed only logical. (Arpwatch has to maintain a couple of files owned
by 'pcap' as well.)

I agree that picking a new user for this purpose is a sound choice.
However, if this user owns files (especially ones that might be run
or otherwise used by root), it seems to defeat the purpose.

The file (arp.dat) required to be writable by arpwatch is not
executable, so this is not a big worry.

--

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at