tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: PCAP performance

From: "Hans Klute" <hklute () gmx de>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:02:50 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:12:35PM +0200, Hans Klute wrote:
Now I have noticed that about every 3 minutes and 15 seconds the Program
uses 100 % of the CPU.
After about 45 sec the program works normal again and uses only 10% of
the
CPU time.
The program is running on a 300 MHz Celeron with 128 MB RAM under
Slackware
8.1.

If you're running it from a terminal window, try typing the quit
character at it (control-backslash, unless you or the Slackware folks or
Linux distributions in general change it from the traditional UN*X
default) when it's running at 100%; that should cause it to dump core.
Then use gdb to see what the program was doing at that time.

I have tried it, but it didn`t help me very much. The program was in a
normal state in which it processed a packet.
I realized now that just before my program uses all CPU time the system
starts to use the CPU more.
The System uses about 30 % of the CPU and then my program starts to burn CPU
power.
I think there is something happening in the kernel... ?

--

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.