tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: text format stability

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:21:24 -0700

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 02:04, Hannes Gredler wrote:

i am a believer that networking dissectors should print data in the order
they arrive ... header information comes before ip adresses, right ?
the IMHO bad bad practise of printing header information (old format)
at the end of the packet messed up multiline decoders and any decoder

just in case you really go forward with implementing configurable
output, then by all means consider adding an option that allows
disabling multiline output. It's a real pita.

Otherwise I'm with Eddie on this -- you really don't want to change the
tcpdump textual output without a good reason and a *big* warning sign
after everbody finally got their regexes to do what they wanted :)

A few months ago this list saw a discussion of the future capture file
format (what's the latest on that btw), and back then I suggested in
context of Jefferson's XML proposal that while I personally think an XML
capture format is not the right idea, an XML based tcpdump output would
be great in the long term -- it would certainly eliminate a lot of
parsing ambiguity.

Regards,
Christian.