tcpdump mailing list archives

3-clause vs. 4-clause BSD license for {libp,WinP}cap and {tcpd,WinD}ump

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:08:54 -0700

On Jun 28, 2004, at 1:21 PM, lists () thegoldenear org wrote:

We would like to include WinPcap and WinDump on the Windows Toolbox compilation of software but your licencing restrictions present a problem. The clause we have difficulty with in
particular is this:

"all advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software display the following
acknowledgement:
"This product includes software developed by the Politecnico di Torino, and its contributors." "

Furthermore, as WinPcap is based on libpcap and WinDump is based on tcpdump, the licenses for libpcap and tcpdump are also involved - and those licenses also have the "4-clause Berkeley license", complete with the "must display the following acknowledgment" third clause (or, as the Free Software Foundation's software license page calls it, the "obnoxious BSD advertising clause").

The copyright notice says the software in question is copyright by the Regents of the University of California, and within the past few years they changed the license on the BSD software to remove the third clause. However, I don't know if that applies to the parts of libpcap and tcpdump developed at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories, or only to BSD itself.

In addition, some code in libpcap and tcpdump might have the copyright owned by others, but still have clause 3 in it; if so, we'd have to ask those contributors whether they'd be willing to remove that clause.

I don't insist that any of the code *I've* written for libpcap and tcpdump have clause 3 in it, but I can't speak for all the contributors. I *suspect* that most, and probably all, of the contributors whose code is under the 4-clause license wouldn't object to removing clause 3, but I don't know whether it's proper (or even legal) to just remove that clause without asking them.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.