tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New magic number

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:38:42 -0700

On Aug 12, 2004, at 2:10 AM, Francisco Mesquita wrote:

Can you please assign me a new magic number so this format will be recognized by libpcap?

Merely assigning a new magic number doesn't mean it'll be recognized by libpcap - we'd have to modify libpcap to handle that, which means that current versions of libpcap won't recognize it.

Note also that we are developing a new capture file format that will support at least some of the information you're adding, although it will not put all of it in the beginning of the packet (the drop counts will probably be at the *end* of the file - we want to allow files to be written purely sequentially, so that, for example, they can be written to a pipe.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.