tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Outgoing packets from VMware duplicated

From: rick jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:52:05 -0700

On Sep 15, 2004, at 1:32 AM, Thomas Boehne wrote:

I have a native linux installation running tcpdump/ethereal and
VMware. When I ping another machine from my Windows running in VMware,
tcpdump and ethereal show all outgoing packets twice (I guess it is a
libpcap problem). Incoming packets are captured correctly.

my first guess would be that the vmware stuff is handing-back the outbound traffic to the partition and the promiscuous tap is before the "was this one of my own packets" test.

so, you see the packet going outbound, and then see the same packet coming-back up like an inbound..

of course, that is just a guess.

rick jones
there is no rest for the wicked, yet the virtuous have no pillows

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.