tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: LLC protocol, ethereal and pcap libraries get along togheter?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:55:56 -0700

On Jul 7, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Claudio Lavecchia wrote:

Writing a packet dissector based on pcap libraries on Linux and using it to sniff traffic going through a WLAN (dell truemobile 1150 with orinoco driver) card I noticed a really strange behaviour. The card is set in promiscous mode, and I used Ethereal to dump the sniffed packets in a user-friendly way to further investigate what was going on. What I observe is that the card sniffs packet that follow either the 802.3 (RFC 1042) encapsulation or the ethernet (RFC 894) encapsulation,

In Ethereal, do these look like Ethernet packets (6-byte destination address, 6-byte source address, 2-byte type/length field) or do they look like 802.11 packets (2-byte frame control field with a type and flags byte, 2-byte duration field, 6-byte destination addres, 6-byte source address, etc.)?

If they look like 802.11 packets, the ones using Ethernet encapsulation might be sent by some bridges that forward Ethernet packets inside 802.11 packets. The standard encapsulation for 802.11 is the RFC 1042 encapsulation, with an 802.2 header.

If they look like Ethernet packets, that's because the card or the driver is converting 802.11 packets into fake Ethernet packets, and they might map packets not using SNAP with an OUI of 0 into RFC 1042-style packets.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.