tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: PCAP - IP Fragments

From: "Hans Klute" <hklute () gmx de>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:24:25 +0200 (MEST)

In some email I received from Hans Klute, sie wrote:
Hi!

I just realized a bug/feature of pcap that I didn?t think of.
I wrote a sniffer based on pcap. This sniffer can handle fragmented IP
packets. Now I realized that if you set up a filter with a UDP or TCP
port,
you will not get the additional fragments, because in these packets
there
are no UDP/TCP headers present from which you can get a port number. So
want to ask if it is possible to modify pcap behaviour and where to
start.
You can tell that a packet should be passed up if the ID in the IP
header
matches, the problem of course is if a fragment arrives before the first
packet. I would prefer a modification in pcap, instead of the sniffer,
regarding performance.

Any suggestions?

You could write a BPF expression to match a particular packet id#.

How should I do this? I don`t know a specific packet id. What I would have
to do is to compare each packet id with the ones received earlier and I must
store it to compare with ones received later. With that whole packets must
be stored over a longer period.
This is not possible!? How does tcpdump handle this?

Hans

--

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.