tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_inject() fails with rc 0 on HP-UX

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:56:09 -0700

On Apr 4, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Harley Stenzel wrote:

On 4/3/06, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> wrote:

I believe this is a long-standing limitation of promiscuous mode support
in HP-UX - only one process may have a promiscuous stream open on an
interface at one time. I believe that is the case for DL_PROMISC_PHYS (give me everything that reaches the NIC). I cannot recall if that would
be the same for the lesser "give me everything that the NIC gives the
host" DL_PROMISC_SAP.

Using tcpdump as an example:

bash-3.00# tcpdump -p -i lan2 > /dev/null &
[1] 14650
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on lan2, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

bash-3.00#  tcpdump -p -i lan2 > /dev/null
tcpdump: recv_ack: promisc_sap: UNIX error - Device busy

That's requesting DL_PROMISC_SAP mode. Perhaps in HP-UX, only one process can request that mode at a time, as Rick hypothesized might be the case - if so, it's yet another reason for a "userland protocol" library that would use the underlying packet capture mechanism's features in the right way for a userland protocol implementation atop some link layer (e.g., not doing SAP promiscuity on those platforms with such a notion).

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.