tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: packet dropping on solaris

From: Michele Sciuto <m.sciuto () dist unige it>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:05:47 +0200

Hello Jonathan,
we are working at the same topic on a Linux Debian system.

I suggest that you adjust the following kernel parameters in order to
improve the number of packets captured (I don't know the equivalence in
Solaris...).

/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default     409715100 bytes
/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max    409715100 bytes
/proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog    300000 pkts

If you have a dual-cpu server, you can get improvements recompiling
the kernel with the SMP support.

In our system the bottleneck is the write-to-disk process, so you can
verify the trouble acquiring the traffic without writing to disk (-w
/dev/null); check the disk speed too (the command in Linux is hdparm).

Do you have drops both by tcpdump and by the nic?

Bye, michele

Jonathan Khoo wrote:
Hi guys,

I am working on a network monitoring system on solaris. Currently I am
just working on the packet capturing engine and I seems to experience
packet drops. After reading through the archives and goggling, I
suspect that the problem may be due to insufficient buffering in the
kernel. Is there any suggestions on how I can modify pcap-dlpi.c to
increase the kernel buffering?