tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Packet Transmission on AIX 5.x

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 02:46:18 -0700

Naveen N Rao wrote:

I am trying to get packet transmission working using pcap_inject() on AIX
5.3. I haven't had any success using BPF and DLPI. With BPF, I get "send:
Error 0"

That means that the write() done to the BPF device returned -1 but didn't set "errno" to a valid error value.

Given all the other ways in which AIX's BPF is broken, I suppose that brokenness shouldn't be a surprise.

That could either mean that the transmission worked but -1 was bogusly returned, or that the transmission failed but AIX's BPF code didn't bother indicating why. Does the packet appear on the network? If so, it might be that AIX's BPF doesn't support sending packets.

 while DLPI just says that this is an unsupported OS.

We haven't written any code to support that. DLPI has other problems if you try to capture packets with it, so it's not the preferred mechanism. It is, however, documented on AIX, as far as I know, unlike AIX's BPF; you might want to try implementing packet transmission using DLPI.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.