tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap files with file header snaplen < packet

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 00:58:27 -0500

Aaron Turner wrote:
Perhaps I'm confused... how does an application using the libpcap API
get access to the snaplen?   I don't see any way to do that.

int pcap_snapshot (pcap_t *)

Furthermore, all the libpcap functions seem to return a pointer to the
packet buffer, and said buffer is allocated by libpcap, not the
application.  I guess I don't see the danger.

Yes, but an application could have allocated another buffer to copy that
into based on snap. Of course it should check caplen, but there are a
lot of lousy programmers out there.

Like I say, I could go either way. But I think there is a potential problem.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>