tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: print-tcp.c: remove commas from output, to

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:46:56 +1300

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:56 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
Kevin Steves wrote:
commas aren't used in tcp fields so remove these that are
before and after cksum.

i'm not necessarily trying to stop the patch, but while it may not be
consistent with other output, maintaining "consistency" with previous
versions has the nice property of being less likely to break someones
scripts no?

I'm pretty sure we've had this debate on this list before. The
conclusion was that the output of tcpdump is intended to be human
readable, not machine readable.

My understanding was that the text output of tcpdump is not
guaranteed/expected to maintain the same exact format over time so
people writing scripts based on it do so at their own risk.

People wanting to write scripts should use a machine readable format
such as XML, or dissect packets directly with a protocol analyser class
etc.

Stephen.