tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for a new DLT for MTP2 with FCS

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen () endace com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:22:55 +1300

As a question to the community in general, is it true that the link
layer checksum is not normally included in libpcap records, and that
only frames with valid L2 checksums are normally captured?

If so it seems clear that DLT_MTP2 (and other) link types should not
have the L2 checksum present appended to their records. Varying from
this practice would cause problems for applications which do not expect
the extra bytes.

If there is a special case for MTP2 where capturing the L2 checksum is
desirable, then I agree that it makes sense to add a new DLT value to
distinguish this.

It would only be necessary to add *_FCS DLTs where people specifically
request the ability to capture the checksum. This would keep the number
of new DLTs required to the minimum.

Regards,
Stephen

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:44 +0100, Florent.Drouin () alcatel-lucent fr