tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New DLT_ value request

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:38:31 -0800

Will Barker wrote:
Please may I request some additional libpcap DLT_ values? I need these to
map onto the following wiretap values:

1.      WTAP_ENCAP_PPP_WITH_PHDR
2.      WTAP_ENCAP_CHDLC_WITH_PHDR
3.      WTAP_ENCAP_FRELAY_WITH_PHDR
4.      WTAP_ENCAP_LAPB

What is the format of the extra information you'll be putting at the beginning of the {PPP, Cisco HDLC, Frame Relay, LAPB} packets to hold the packet direction? (Number of bytes, values to be put there, etc.)

In addition is it acceptable to have one further value defined for our own
proprietary encapsulation type?

By "proprietary" do you mean you'll be using this only internally within your company, with special internal versions of tcpdump/Wireshark/etc. or special internal-only Wireshark plugins, or do you mean you'll be, for example, submitting a dissector for that encapsulation for inclusion in Wireshark?

If the former, you could just use one of the DLT_USERn DLT_ values, and use one of the WTAP_ENCAP_USERn WTAP_ENCAP values, and not need an official DLT_ value.

If the latter, yes, you'd need to have a DLT_ value for that encapsulation type, and we'd provide one.

Is there some formal request process for this?

The official process for asking for a DLT_ value is to, err, umm, send mail to tcpdump-workers () tcpdump org asking for the value. :-)

(I.e., this *is* the request process.)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.