tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Error making shared libpcap on AIX

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:43:08 -0800

Jonathan Gruenhut wrote:
I’m working on an AIX 5.3, and trying to compile a shared libpcap library (version 0.9.8).

If you're using the source code from tcpdump.org, without any modifications, no support is in that source code for building shared libraries on AIX. The person who contributed those patches made it work on OS X and Linux, but notes that the "right" solution would be to use libtool:

        http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2003/11/msg00134.html

The process for making shared libraries differs significantly between UN*Xes. I think it's pretty much the same on UN*Xes that use the GNU linker and ELF, but that only covers Linux distributions and *BSD; it doesn't handle OSes that use ELF but not the GNU linker (e.g., SVR4-based UN*Xes such as SunOS 5.x), or OSes that use neither (such as AIX). Thus, the shared library build process added by that patch should work on Linux distributions and, probably, *BSD. The patch also can build OS X .dylib files.

The AIX build process is, I think, significantly different from that on other UN*Xes - and, if AIX shared libraries have names ending in ".a", as I have the impression they do, a simple change won't help, as the Makefile would have to have different rules for making libpcap.a on AIX and on other UN*Xes (where a .a file is an archive library).

I searched for this extensively on Google, and kept finding things
that were similar, but not helpful enough for me. I’d appreciate any
pointers at all.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html

Send us a patch when you get the build process working with libtool. (Hopefully there wouldn't be a licensing problem with distributing the GPLed scripts generated by libtoolize with the BSD-licensed libpcap.)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.