tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Running multiple instances of tcpdump

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 04:43:02 -0800

Ravindranath, Chavalam wrote:

When I tried a single instance of tcpdump, it worked fine, and I don't
even have to specify the interface I want to monitor.
When I left this first instance running and started another one, I got
the message "tcpdump: no suitable device found". According to the
information that I found on the Internet, this means that I need to
specify the interface (why would it be required on the second instance).
So I tried to specify the interface (lan0) and got a different message
"tcpdump: recv_ack: promisc_phys: UNIX error - Invalid argument". Can
you tell me why it worked like that?

Because HP-UX doesn't support more than one process putting a particular interface into promiscuous mode at a time, so you can't have two instances of tcpdump (or any other application using promiscuous mode) running on the same interface at the same time.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.