tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [clearview-discuss] libdlpi with libpcap

From: sagun shakya <Sagun.Shakya () Sun COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:41:10 -0500

I've updated the webrev that fixes your commets.

Updated webrev can be found at:

http://cr.opensolaris.org/~sagun/libpcap-review2/

Guy Harris wrote:

It says, in a comment you added to configure.in:

    + # Due to a gcc bug (6619485), the default search path for 32-bit
    + # libraries does not include /lib, we add it explicitly here.
+ # Also, due to the bug above applications that link to libpcap with
    + # libdlpi will have to add "-L/lib" option to "configure".

(Is 6619485 a GCC Bugzilla bug number? I don't see it on http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla.)
To make it clear, I've added a link to the OpenSolaris bug database instead.
. This bug does not exist in the latest version of GCC.
If applications have to add that flag, tcpdump's configure script should probably check to see whether it needs to link with -L/lib in order to link with libpcap; tcpdump is not necessarily linked with ../ libpcap-XXX/libpcap.a - somebody might be building tcpdump on a system that comes with libpcap, and be linking with the system libpcap. Putting that in there also provides a template that other applications can use in their configure scripts, if they're using autoconf.
I've added a check for libdlpi and added the -L/lib flag to LDFLAGS. If this is correct then these check can be added to wireshark as well.

To your comment of:
   Why did you add a

       AC_CHECK_HEADERS(sys/bufmod.h)

check to configure.in after the check for libdlpi? It's checked for later in the case statement if V_PCAP is dlpi or, in your version, libdlpi.

I've deleted the check and also line 338. Instead added a check at line 295.

-Thanks,

Sagun

--

Sagun Shakya