tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Linux input layer evdev capturing

From: David Gibson <david () gibson dropbear id au>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:02:36 +1100

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 08:58:19AM +0000, David Gibson wrote:
Michael Richardson <mcr <at> sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> writes:
"Guy" == Guy Harris <guy <at> alum.mit.edu> writes:
    Guy> The name evdev is, as far as I know, a Linuxism, so DLT_EVDEV
    Guy> might suffice as a name, unless fill-in-the-blankBSD or Solaris
    Guy> or... ends up doing their own input layer with a different
    Guy> packet format and calling it evdev, although in that case we
    Guy> could have DLT_FREEBSD_EVDEV or DLT_NETBSD_EVDEV or....

    Guy> Any objections to just DLT_EVDEV?

  It's my understanding that x.org folks expect *BSD or Solaris folks to
either do their own event system, or to do complete rewrite rather than
a port.  (the evdev.c code in xorg includes linux kernel specific
headers)
  So, I suggest DLT_EVDEV, and if we have to, we'll do:
      #define DLT_EVDEV_LINUX DLT_EVDEV
  when we get a request for a similar, but incompatible event system.

I was thinking DLT_LINUX_EVDEV just to clarify that it's a Linux-internal
protocol, but I'm not fussed by DLT_EVDEV either.

Uh.. so, what's the next step here?

--
                                | _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson