tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump 4.0.0rc2 and libpcap 1.0.0rc2 now available

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:14:34 -0700

On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

Note to Linux distributions and *BSD systems that include libpcap:

There's now a rule to make a shared library, which should work on Linux and *BSD (and OS X).

It sets the soname of the library to "libpcap.so.1"; this is what it should be, *NOT* libpcap.so.1.0 or libpcap.so.1.0.0 or something such as that.

(Note to people building on OS X:

The Makefile can build shared libraries on OS X, but it's not the same rule; the configure script figures out the suffix for the shared library, and there are different rules for ".so", which work with GCC and the GNU linker - but not with, say, Sun C or the Solaris linker - and for ".dylib", which works on OS X.

OS X doesn't have an soname; instead, it has a "compatibility version", which we set to 1 - just as OS X does in its libpcap.

Given that the current version string is "1.0.0rc2", and that gets used for the "current version", which has to be all-numeric other than the dots, the rule doesn't currently work, but will work in the final version. I'll probably clean that up at some point to strip out non- numeric stuff.)
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.