tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DECT LINKTYPE

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:23:39 -0800

On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:04 AM, Matthias Wenzel wrote:

OK, thanks for clarification, I was thinking about a lower layer there...
Generally I don't disagree with pulling our stuff in libpcap, but how
could we reflect very DECT-specific settings in the pcap API, such as
setting a radio channel,

At some point I'll be adding to libpcap APIs for getting lists of supported radio channels and setting the current radio channel, for the benefit of 802.11. Those APIs could probably be made usable for other network types.

setting a RFPI (like a MAC address),

So what effect does setting the RFPI have? Does it act as, in effect, a capture filter, so that only traffic to or from that RFPI is captured?

switching
between async scan mode and synchronized packet capure?

Is that scanning by changing the channel? If so, would that be done by the hardware/firmware on your device, or could it be done by the software changing the channel and looking for a signal?
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.