tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump 4.0.0 + libpcap 1.0.0 Released

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:27:01 -0700

On Oct 29, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Tyson Key wrote:

Also, is it considered normal for Linux 2.6.25 and above (or libpcap,
although I'm not sure exactly what to blame) to truncate large numbers of USB packets? (I assume this has been hashed to death on the list in the
past, though).

Paolo? Could it be using the text interface rather than the binary interface? I think I remember you indicating that the text interface doesn't supply the full packet.

Tyson, you said you were using the CVS version of libpcap (presumably meaning top-of-tree CVS, the pcap-usb-linux.c of which is identical to 1.0's pcap-usb-linux.c), so presumably you built it from source. You might want to stick some debugging printfs into usb_activate() to see whether it uses mmap access to the binary interface, non-mmap access to the binary interface, or the text interface.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.